I've been meaning to sew a nursing cover for a while now. I received a Hooter Hider as a baby shower gift from my friend Colleen when my daughter was born 2 years ago and I used it a ton. It was just a super gift for a mom who intended to breast feed. Besides, it's basically a rectangle of fabric with a strap...how hard could that be?
First things first I had to locate some hardware. This project requires D-rings and some boning. Trip to JoAnn Fabrics: found the d-rings in the purse making section and the boning I purchased was actually called belting. It was cheaper and wider than the actual boning for standard corset making and had just the right amount of flex and light weight I wanted.
Once the kiddo was down for her nap, I cut up some fabric, a favorite, Heather Ross mermaids! I sewed in a little chenille pocket on the inside to hold breast pads. And then it was pretty much just turning over the outside edges and top stitching. Overall, not too hard. I like the finished product. With baby number 2 due soon, this nursing cover won't sit idle for long!