Monday, November 15, 2010

One Nap Wonder


This is positively the most accomplished dress I've pulled off in just one nap time. The girls were extra tired after moms group today. My three year old practically put herself to bed at 12:30. Despite having woken up from her morning nap around 11am, my 15 month old was game to go back down at 12:45 and so off to my sewing studio I went! From fabric selection, to design planning, fabric cutting and then all the way through to finished with label attached and top-stitching... all complete before either of them woke up!

About the dress...

We'll call her Honey Bee Peasant Dress with Apron Sash

The dress has the gathered neckline of a peasant dress and long sleeves. I decided to mix it up and do two different fabrics for the sleeves.

The apron sports an embroidered ribbon (Patty Young!) and my label. It's sewn into the sash which wraps around and knots simply in the back. The apron and sash are not attached to the dress, so the dress can be worn on it's own or the apron can mixed in with another outfit.

I love the punchy colors and how they came together! The honeycomb / bee fabric is by Patty Young. The turquoise is Jennifer Paganelli and the other print is from my stash of random stuff from JoAnn fabrics. Dress shown is a size 2T. Top-stitching is done in turquoise for contrast. And I need to iron my creations before photos.

On an unrelated note, I realize from looking at my photos, I need to get a dress form based more on a toddler and less on a curvy lady ;) The dress is looking a little busty!

No comments: