Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lemon Meringue Knot Dresses for Sisters

I love lemons! I've seen this pretty Alexander Henry fabric a time or two and finally picked some up. JoAnn's was having a nice sale on their white cotton eyelet fabric so I thought a combo would make a nice crisp look. Once I got home, I discovered that I had a wide, green grosgrain ribbon that would add just that extra something of color and detail.

The Lauren's Dress (size 4)
The dress is a simple knot dress (without an apron...keeping it simple here). I did mix it up by turning the bodice fabric 90 degrees to the skirt fabric...

The straps for both dresses are made with the lemon fabric on one side and the eyelet on the other so when the knot if tied, you get a taste of both fabrics. Both bodices are lined in the white cotton.


The Grace Dress (size 12-18 mo)
Here is the back view with Mommy Said Sew tag sewn on ala Matilda Jane style....

The Grace knot dress has a full skirt of white cotton eyelet so I felt she needed something for modesty sake (besides a diaper cover). The pants got more complicated than I meant (the gather in the ribbon was created by sewing tiny elastic to the inside pulling taught while sewing), but the use of the matching ribbon ties the outfit together with the big sister look.

Closer look at the cotton eyelet and the bottom of the pant legs...

No comments: